Create beautiful, one-of-a-kind prints with some basic art supplies and household items! We love this project because it’s great for any age, and there are lots of fun variations.
Try it out and see what happens —
the possibilities are endless!
Cookie sheet or plastic cutting board
Large paintbrush or brayer
Pencil with eraser
Paper for printing (try lots of different colors)
Cardstock or any thick paper
1. Roll or brush out a thin layer of paint onto your cookie sheet or plastic cutting board. The spread of paint should be smaller than the paper you plan to print on.
2. Using the eraser end of your pencil, draw into the paint, removing the paint as you go. Try to work quickly so that the thin layer of paint doesn’t dry.
3. Place your paper onto the cookie sheet or cutting board, covering the paint.
4. Rub lightly over the entire surface.
5. Peel up your paper to reveal your one-of-a-kind print!
Fun Variations to Try
1. Cut shapes out of cardstock.
2. Add to your design by placing paper shapes into your paint in step 2.
3. Follow steps 3-4!
4. Try making another print by peeling up the paper shapes and following steps 3-4 with the extra paint. Sometimes these are the coolest prints of all.
Two Ways to Add Colors:
1. When spreading paint in step 1, try brushing or rolling two colors next to each other, so your final print will fade from one color to the next. You’ll get the best results if you choose two colors that mix nicely.
2. When creating your design in step 2, try using a thin paintbrush to paint a second or third color into your design.
Have fun creating your own prints and coming up with your own methods. Hang the nice ones and cut up the others to create a collage! And if you feel like sharing, post photos of your work to fiberflame’s facebook page!
1776 route 212, saugerties, ny 12477